http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/investment/top-trumps-the-greatest-engineers-of-all-time-636
Fantastic news. Just recently as a direct result of the information gathered here on our blog and on the structural engineering LinkedIn Groups that we frequent - we have forged a list of 60 engineers [mostly but not exclusively structural and civil engineers].
That's great, but what has that got to do with you?
Well, we have a proposition, and we think that you will like it.
If you have never heard of something called crowd funding before, then be prepared to be educated.
Crowd funding is a fairly recent phenomenon which has it's roots in the sphere of charitable organisations.
What happens is that a project that needs some investment to get it started is presented to the public to join in and make it happen by pledging a small donation to the cause.
If the project has enough people behind it, investing in it - then it happens. If the funding does not reach the intended level - the venture fails and the project is shelved [but not forgotten].
I have been collecting names of engineers from you all since November and individually sourced statistics from a small amount of you too [massive thank you!!]. We now have the basics of a Top Trumps ® stylised deck of playing cards which will include some of the greatest engineers of all time.
All we need now is a small amount of investment from everyone.
So far, we have been accepted to pitch our idea to you via Crowdfunder.co.uk. The pitch has been completed and all the boxes ticked, pretty soon though, the project will be available for you to view and comment upon [once the last set of approvals have been made by Crowdfunder].
We have now posted the link up for you all to view and contribute. I will not spoil it by giving you every last detail here and now... but if we manage to make this happen, this could be an important stepping stone to making a larger future project happen, which will blow your socks off!
Engine[er]

Great Work!!! Keep us posted about the updates of the project.
ReplyDeleteThanks Najwa!
ReplyDeleteCheers for the support :-)
I'm a sucker for any project paying homage to the many engineering greats, post the link up when its ready and I'll happily chip in what I can. (Great idea by the way)!
ReplyDelete:D Thanks Pete.
DeleteThe crowd funding site are taking their sweet time! A bit disappointing, but the end result will be a cool idea. Worth the wait.
Great idea! But why is there a time limit on raising the funds? What happens to the money if the target isn't met? I'm new to this crowd funding thing...
ReplyDeleteHi Luke.
DeleteThe time limit is set because the whole set up is created on a third party site - crowd funder.
Crowd funder says "because if there wasn't a time limit, then many projects would fail to pass the finishing line, and be forever limping along". I think it is because that it suits their business plan - to be honest.
Nether the less, a time limit was set. I could have set it for longer [in retrospect, I should have], but I was planning to announce the results in a chat to some students.
If the target is not met, then the money is sent back to all those who pledged it. All bets are off, hit the reset switch...
If you think about it, if you invest £10, you get a card game sent to you - designed by us for us. £15 gets you a cool personalised deck. £20 gets you a 'special' gift on-top of the personalised deck.
Sweet deal.
Ah OK, thanks for the clarification! I was worried I might stump up £10 (and family funds are tight just now) for this cool project and then find out that it wasn't going ahead and that I would lose my money! But that's not the case, so great. I will take a closer look tomorrow lunchtime and see what I can do..
DeleteYeah Cool Luke. Thanks for asking!
DeleteNo Likey, no money!!